Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The designated repayment amounts for the Home Buyers' Plan cannot exceed your RRSP contributions for 2016. My wife did not have RRSPs but has a HBP $1333 to repay (error)

I'm just looking how to navigate the error above and enter the HBR when my wife does not have RRSP contribution (I am in the RRSP section of turbotax)
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The designated repayment amounts for the Home Buyers' Plan cannot exceed your RRSP contributions for 2016. My wife did not have RRSPs but has a HBP $1333 to repay (error)

I suspect that in the RRSP section you've designated an amount to pay back for the Home Buyer's Plan. This designation amount is only to specify how much of the RRSP contributions to use. Since your wife didn't make an RRSP contribution this field should be blank.

Since there are no RRSP contributions, the $1,333 HBP will then be added (and taxed) as income.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I suspect that in the RRSP section you've designated an amount to pay back for the Home Buyer's Plan. This designation amount is only to specify how much of the RRSP contributions to use. Since your wife didn't make an RRSP contribution this field should be blank.

Since there are no RRSP contributions, the $1,333 HBP will then be added (and taxed) as income.

AngeloT

I believe this is a product defect because it was not added to my income at all and it did not increase my Taxable amount.

How do I log a defect on this issue?

Angelo 

Did you need to enter a Home Buyers' Plan repayment?

Here are the steps to verify on each return to make sure they were only entered on the tax return indicating the person who applied for the HBP. If using our TurboTax Online or Easy Steps in our Desktop software, please go to the Find Icon (magnifying glass) to enter Home Buyers' Plan, select it then Go. This will bring you to the screen seen in the image below. (The images below say 2022 from the previous year, your return will say 2023.) See the entries to be filled on the next Home Buyers' Plan as seen in the next image below. Then you will follow the steps in the last image to view your payment on the RRSP Summary screen. Always make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on Done or Continue to save the changes made.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.