Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition Transfer is asking for everything but the ONLY line it needs from my daughter's Schedule 11 is line 32700 (transferred amount)

Decides there is $0 to transfer even though line 32700 of daughter's return is NOT zero.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tuition Transfer is asking for everything but the ONLY line it needs from my daughter's Schedule 11 is line 32700 (transferred amount)

Solved ! (Thanks Ayesha !)

TurboTax recalculates the maximum transferrable amounts using the data under "Other Dependent Data". Get something wrong there and the calculation is incorrect. (You have to add up a wide number of lines from the student's return, instead of just transferring one line number).

Actually even get it right and the calculation still seems to be incorrect. My students return had < Max federal and 0$ provincial available, but my return said both had max available.

The error message was useless for finding this issue.

It would be FAR more intuitively obvious if this information was requested under the dependent page instead of somewhere else.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Can you please let us know which TurboTax software  you are using so that we can assist further? Online or Desktop/Download.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I am using On-line small business.

I either need this addressed by April or get instructions on how to manually override line 32400 on my filed return..

or find another tax package

You need to enter something in the box labeled "Tuition fees less Canada training credit claimed --- Line 8 of Schedule 11 for 2023" or TurboTax Online will not do the transfer. If you don't know what Line 8 is, but you know you child is transferring the maximum amount, you can enter $5000.

Please think about this:

1) Obviously I have tried this.. but no matter what I enter there (including $100,000 as a try), the software says my daughter has $0 to transfer to me.

2) The whole page is flawed because it should NOT be asking for the data my daughter entered BUT rather for the amount she transferred to me (Line 32700 of her schedule 11). (She does not have to transfer the whole amount to me, so this page is trying to read her mind and "guess" what she entered on that line)

3) And finally, there is NO way it can even calculate the maximum my daughter could transfer, because my return does NOT know how much of her tuition amount she had to use on her return.

The page is flawed. The logic is bad. PLEASE have someone fix it.

Here is step one- How much of my child's or spouse's unused tuition credits can be transferred to me?

Here is a great TurboTax article on steps on how to enter the transferred tuition amounts to your income tax return from your child.

If these are the steps you took and the amounts are not working- we would suggest that you contact our phone support team who can view your return. 

Solved ! (Thanks Ayesha !)

TurboTax recalculates the maximum transferrable amounts using the data under "Other Dependent Data". Get something wrong there and the calculation is incorrect. (You have to add up a wide number of lines from the student's return, instead of just transferring one line number).

Actually even get it right and the calculation still seems to be incorrect. My students return had < Max federal and 0$ provincial available, but my return said both had max available.

The error message was useless for finding this issue.

It would be FAR more intuitively obvious if this information was requested under the dependent page instead of somewhere else.

Thank you for the update and for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.