Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo tax online calculated a lower tuition amount for 2023 when my unused and current year tuition is higher. I need the full amount to avoid paying tax. How to fix it?

Is there even a way to see how 2023 Tuition amount claimed is calculated. Online version does not have forms so I can't see how numbers are calculated.
3 Replies

Turbo tax online calculated a lower tuition amount for 2023 when my unused and current year tuition is higher. I need the full amount to avoid paying tax. How to fix it?

You can see the amount of tuition that is being claimed by selection Deductions>Students>Student Summary. 

In TurboTax Online, you can print out the forms that make up your return, including the T1. This YouTube video shows you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S15YJrKTEks

Please note that this function will not be available until NETFILE opens on February 19th.

Hi Susan,

Indeed, the amount I see Turbotax is claiming for my 2023 is from the Student Summary. From the Summary my sub-total of available tuition to be claimed is $28K hover the amount Turbo Tax is calculating for 2023 is only $15K. If I could increase that to closer to $28K than I could eliminate the tax Turbo Tax says I will owe. 

If I understand you correctly, there is no way to find out how Turbo Tax came up with the $15K number until I wait until February 19th. Even when this date is reached there is no assurance it can be corrected. I am unclear why being able to print your return is contingent on whether Netfile is open. This is especially odd given the download version still has the forms available.

It is disappointing that I may have to pay twice for TurboTax 2023 just to ensure what I intend to file to the CRA is correct before filing it. 

I understand there is nothing you can do if Turbotax has decided this is what customers want. I just wish I knew before buying the online version.

If I purchase the download version I can access forms and see immediately why Turbo Tax is limiting my deduction while still making me pay tax.

Printing is not available until February in either TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download because many of the forms and other information won’t be finalized until then. Also, the CRA will not be processing mailed in returns until NETFILE opens, so this prevents them from getting tax returns that will sit untouched for weeks.

Regardless of whether you can see the actual forms, in TurboTax Online all the inputs come from what was entered in the interview. So, it might be a good idea to go back into the Student section and see what was entered and if it resembles what was there in 2022.

If you decide to use TurboTax CD/Download instead of the Online version, you can get a refund for TurboTax Online. If you bought TurboTax Online from a 3rd party retailer (ex: Costco, Staples, Walmart), please use this form to get a refund: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-get-a-refund-f...