Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msgair

Can I use a portion of the contribution I made to a spousal RRSP, towards repayment of my personal LLP?

I over-contributed to my wife's spousal RRSP, assuming I could designate the overage amount to repay the 2017 amount owing on my personal LLP balance.  However, I get an error in the return review, and the over-contribution is showing as a carry-forward RRSP contribution, rather than a repayment against the LLP.  Did I make a mistake here?  Thank you

1 Reply

Can I use a portion of the contribution I made to a spousal RRSP, towards repayment of my personal LLP?

When you purchase an rrsp you are eligible for the deduction claim based on your rrsp deduction room.  Since you purchased a spousal rrsp you receive the deduction and your spouse owns the plan, therefore you cannot designate her rrsp to repay your LLP.   I am not fully understanding how you over contributed to your wife's spousal as it is based on your rrsp deduction room when purchasing a spousal rrsp.  If you over contributed over your limit then you will have a carryforward deduction for next year.  Again the plan is owned by your spouse so you cannot designate any amounts to your LLP,