Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
per0817

Where do I enter amounts for eligble educator school supply tax credit?

5 Replies

If using TurboTax CD/Download- you will enter it, on line 46800 of your return, the total of the expenses for the eligible educator school supply tax credit. The refundable portion is 15% of the total eligible fees. Enter the result of the calculation on line 46900 of your return.

If using TurboTax Online- 

1.     In Setup < Profile < Other credits & deductions say YES to Are there other deductions such as public transit, union or professional dues or alimony that you want to claim?

2.     Checkmark I am an eligible teacher or early childhood educator and paid for eligible school supplies during the year.

3.     Go to Deductions tab and select Other deductions then Teacher and Early Childhood Educator School Supply Tax Credit

4.     Enter expenses in the box provided.

harberje
Returning Member

Using the download version and trying to claim Eligible educator school supply tax credit expenses on line 46900

Program uses line 46800 to enter the value (up to $1000) but it doesn't allow for data entry,

In the program line 46800 is being multiplied by the wrong number as the number by should be 15% (not 25%) and line 46900 doesn't allow an override to solve the issue

Seems like a bug in the program........

@harberje   If it doesn't let you enter an amount in Forms mode, try using EasyStep mode. If it still doesn't let you do it, please try reinstalling the software using the download from our website. 

You can download the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition here:  Choose the 2023 TurboTax edition you need (for Windows). If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

The rate for the eligible educator school supply tax credit increased to 25% starting with the 2021 tax year.

harberje
Returning Member

Hello

a) Software was updated this morning, if it takes a full download to resolve this issue, things aren't great

b) I will send in a correction to my return through the my CRA site to correct line 46900 

b) Help screens with the program state 15%, maybe they need to be updated 

from your program......

If you were an eligible educator you can claim up to $1,000 of eligible teaching supplies expenses. The refundable portion is 15% of the total eligible fees.

@harberje I will let the people who write the help files know it needs to be updated. Thank you.