Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do i find unused provincial tuition?

1 Reply

Where do i find unused provincial tuition?

TurboTax automatically transfers your carry-forward amounts and other info to the right spots in your current year's return.

If you used TurboTax to file your tax return last year, information such as the following is transferred from your prior year file:

• Your personal information (like your address and date of birth)
  • Charitable donations and gifts (Schedule 9)
  • Tuition and education amounts (Schedule 11)
  • RRSP receipts
  • Capital gains deduction (T657)

You can find the unused provincial tuition as follows:

1. Select the "Find" icon on TurboTax and type Students.
  2. Select Students from the list, and then click "Go". The "Your Student Profile" step appears.
  3. Select "Unused tuition fees and education amounts from previous years" and then select "Continue".
  4. You should now be able to enter any unused federal and provincial tuition and education amount where appropriate.
  5. After you are finished click "Continue" and you should be presented with your Student Summary page.

TurboTax Online editions

TurboTax also pre-populates your Tax Profile with last year’s answers to save you time. You just need to make updates to reflect any changes in your life year-over-year.

TurboTax CD/Download editions

You can use the Carry Forwards Worksheet to see some of the amounts that were transferred from your prior-year return.

For more information please see our TurboTax articles:  What information is transferred from my previous TurboTax return? and Understanding Tuition Tax Credits.

As per Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)

What records do you keep?

You should keep a copy of your return, the related notice of assessment, and any notice of reassessment. These can help you complete your return for the next year. For example, your notice of assessment or reassessment includes your unused tuition, education, and textbook amounts carried forward from prior years. To view your notice of assessment or reassessment online, go to My Account for Individuals and log in to My Account.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.