Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which box #24 for CRA taxes (Excess Amounts - there are 3 box choices) in TurboTax do I enter the amount from box #24 on the T4RIF form?

>Under "Enter the Information from Box 24 of your T4RIF excess amount" The 3 choices are Withdrawal Payment, Transferred to a RRSP, or Transferred to a RRIF.  The T4RIF info is: Box 16, Taxable Amount = $3,916.14; Box 28, Income Tax Deducted = $681.13; Box 24, Excess Amount = $3,369.78.    

5 Replies
BABS39

Which box #24 for CRA taxes (Excess Amounts - there are 3 box choices) in TurboTax do I enter the amount from box #24 on the T4RIF form?

This does not answer the question.  In which of the 3 places do we put the amount in Box 24?

GPT1999

Not only doesn't it answer the question, the links don't work.

You would pick whichever Box 24 matches your situation. If you didn't transfer the payment to an RRSP or a RRIF, then use the "Withdrawal payment" box. 

FYI: The original answer is from 2019.

GPT1999

We are talking about a T4RIF which is a withdrawal by definition I think. The tax payer transferred money from an RRSP into a RIF so that they could withdraw it to use up the $2000 pension deduction. There was no required RIF withdrawal as the tax payer is not 70 yet so the entire amount is an Excess amount. It makes a big difference if the box 24 entry is in "Transferred to RRIF" compared to "Withdrawal payment". A deduction is given for the former but not the later. A clear explanation for the purpose of each of these items is needed because it appears that 2 out of the 3 apply to my tax payer.

In this case it sounds like it should be a transfer. If clarification is needed please contact the financial institution who sent the information slip.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.