My friend lives with me and helps cover expenses. ... - Community

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

Français English
If you experience technical issues while doing your taxes, you can get the latest information in

The Help Center

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.4 helpful votes

My friend lives with me and helps cover expenses. Do I have to report their payments as rental income?

If you're renting the room at fair market value, you must declare the income as rental income. You could then also claim rental expenses.

If your tenant isn't paying fair market value, you're in a "cost-sharing" scenario. In a cost-sharing scenario, you do not have to declare the payments you receive from the tenant, but you also can't claim any rental expenses, nor can the tenant claim any benefit from rent paid, like the Ontario Trillium Benefit or other benefits that consider rent payments.

Related information

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Returning? Sign in