TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

What is the NETFILE Access Code (NAC), and how do I use it?

SOLVEDby TurboTax106Updated December 14, 2023

The NETFILE Access Code (NAC) is an 8-character alphanumeric code found in the upper right corner of your Notice of Assessment (NOA).

The CRA uses this code for tax filers who call in to the CRA customer service line for help with their tax information or returns.

Notice of Assessment paper copy

To find your NAC code on the paper copy of your Notice of Assessment, look at the top right corner on the first page of your document. The alphanumeric code under your Notice Details is your NAC.

Notice of Assessment on CRA My Account

To find your NAC code online on your CRA My Account:

1. Sign in to your CRA My Account.
  2. Scroll down to the Tax Returns section.
  3. Select Go To Tax Return Details.
  4. Choose the link for the Notice of Assessment you want to get your NAC from.
  5. Your NAC code will be listed next to Access Code in the upper right corner of your assessment.

The NAC is intended to be an extra level of security to authenticate a person's identification before using NETFILE. The code will eliminate the need to provide the CRA with a specific line number off a previous year’s tax return when calling to authenticate your account.

When beginning the NETFILE process, you'll see a screen with a box that asks for the access code.

This is an optional field. If you enter your code, it must match what the CRA has on file. After five unsuccessful attempts to enter the code, your account will be locked and you'll see a message to contact the CRA.

If you're a first-time tax filer, you haven't been issued a NAC code yet, so you won't have to enter one when using NETFILE. Prior-year returns are also excluded from the option of using the NAC.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads