turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes rejected; update not due after State deadline

I'm a bit stuck here. My Federal taxes were rejected due to something wrong with the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction.  As a result, my State are also rejected.  My State are due 4/20/21, as my State has not extended the deadline.  TT tells me that an update to the SE Health Worksheet will be released on 4/30 - after my State deadline.

I tried calling TT for input, but the representative was beyond unhelpful - she wouldn't even believe me that my State hadn't extended the deadline. She then told me it was my fault for not filing back in February. Absolutely shocking. I'm basically stuck - I cannot use TT to file my taxes at all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Which state is it? 

@lordmuggins

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hawaii 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

While the law requires taxpayers to file by April 20, taxpayers are granted an automatic 6-month extension (no form is required to request the extension) to file the return through October 20, 2021 if one of these two conditions is met:

1. The taxpayer is due a refund, or
  2. The taxpayer pays the properly estimated tax amount owed by April 20, 2021. Taxpayers who are not able to pay the properly estimated tax amount owed should pay as much as they can to avoid additional interest and penalties.

I am going to check the SE Health Insurance issue and will tag you again- if it is just a technology delay, the tax due should be correct so you can make a payment to meet the April 20 deadline and file the return as soon as possible.  

@lordmuggins

MaryK - Thanks. As I noted, both returns were rejected.

My actual concern is that the reason for the rejection would change to my detriment, i.e. I would not have paid enough tax. I have paid my State taxes (that TT suggests I need to) online, and I will pay Federal later today.

Are you therefore suggesting that I simply delay my filing, beyond the State deadline of April 20, but ensure I have paid?

The error noted was:

Schedule1_Self-Employed_Health_Insurance_Hold_Rule - Your federal return was rejected due to an issue with Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction on Schedule 1: Additional Income and Adjustments to Income

Then, in Turbotax itself, it notes that "Updates to the Self-Employed Health and Long-Term Care Insurance Deduction Worksheet are estimated to be completed by 4/30/21"

It also suggests to review my answers under the topic of ACA in the deductions page; which I have, and they are correct.  I'm not sure how to proceed. Turbotax says that it is 100% accurate, but the Fed and State seem to disagree.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, as long as you make the payment by the due date, you can file later.  I just want to see if the error is just in the transmission of the return or the calculation.

@lordmuggins

Thanks @MaryK4 . Are you able to access my return?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes,-

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2020" file that is experiencing this issue.You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information. If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is. Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@MaryK4  Code is: 821352

Thanks!

confused0415
Returning Member

MaryK1101,

I have the same issue ("Updates to the Self-Employed Health and Long-Term Care Insurance Deduction Worksheet are estimated to be completed by 4/30/21").

So is Turbotax resolving this in a one-off/one-user-at-a-time approach (I see that you asked for a diagnostics file from another user to rule out potential transmission error)? Or is this a more expansive, well-defined issue that they are confident they will resolve with an updated s/w release by 4/30/21?

Thank you for your help!

confused0415
Returning Member

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

It is best to contact support to get an immediate answer to your questions. Please use the following help article to contact TurboTax support.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@AkinaLO  I have previously contacted TT support, and the representative told me it was not her problem, and asked why I didn't file in February - and, that if I did, I wouldn't have been stressed out about this. She also refused to agree with me that I needed to efile my Federal taxes in order to be able to efile my State taxes; and refused to read the rejection reason.  She also suggested to me that the State deadline of 4/20 was a lie, and I was trying to play off the issue as being more serious than it was. She refused to acknowledge my statement that, despite TT's "guarantee", I could not timely file my Federal and State taxes due to a software update. That person should be dismissed from their position immediately. The lack of understanding or compassion, or attempt to resolve the issue was astounding.

A further rep was helpful, but he admitted he is perplexed by this issue too.

It is completely unfair to discredit someone carefully explaining the issue in a forum, by telling them to take more time and contact someone else.  As of now, I am waiting on an update from @MaryK4 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

It looks as if your Hawaii tax due will not be adjusted, so if you make the payment by the due date, you will be able to efile the federal and Hawaii as soon as the updates are available.

@lordmuggins

ive got the same rejection notice, did you figure out the issue yet?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies