Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emnem

Why did TurboTax FORCE me to upgrade then proceed to charge me????

This is my first time filing with TurboTax and I decided to for they preach about the free service and how easy and fast it is. So, I was filing and right before I was done, it was telling me that I needed to upgrade in order to file. what? I don’t understand how a business like this could lead you on like that just to disappoint. I didn’t plan on going through with the upgrade. Yet, my account was charged and I lost $200 dollars. That’s insane. All that to not even get enough back on my return to cover this expense. To make it even better, there is no way I can get my money back. TurboTax is a scam and I will never file with them again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

This is what you could have done instead of just accepting the cost and paying for the account -

The TurboTax Free online edition is for very simple tax returns that do not require any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If your tax data requires entry on any other form or schedule then you must upgrade to the Deluxe edition or higher.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over with a lower priced edition. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2023 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Go to this TurboTax website for the Free online edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp

Please Note -

TurboTax Online: Important Details about Filing Form 1040 Returns with Limited Credits

A Form 1040 return with limited credits is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only (with the exception of the specific covered situations described below). Roughly 37% of taxpayers are eligible.

If you have a Form 1040 return and are claiming limited credits only, you can file for free yourself with TurboTax Free Edition or TurboTax Live Assisted Basic (if available), or you can file with TurboTax Full Service at the listed price.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions claimed on Schedule A
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales (including crypto investments)
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules

Same happened to me. For a simple 1040 without any extra deduction, I was charged $69 Deluxe version.

I did meet the qualification for File Free. And still was charged $69 for Deluxe which I did not need.

False advertising

Screenshot 2024-04-18 002551.png

Before submitting your tax return the ONLINE version automatically determines which version you "require" based on all the relevant data you entered into the system. Even if you met with an agent in-person the same thing would have likely happened. Everyones tax situation is different, so it helps knowing ahead of time what version you need, so there aren't any surprises.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies