Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Family Tax Credit not calculating? Am I doing something wrong?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In TurboTax Online, in the Detailed Tax Summary, the Federal Tax on Line 406 already includes the reduction based on the Family Tax Cut, if it was applicable. Check Schedule 1A and see if the Family Tax Cut has been calculated, then check the Schedule 1, line 423, to see what the end benefit was. I have tested this and the amount displayed in Line 406 of the Detailed Tax Summary is correct.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
jkpatzer

Mine does the same thing.  Shows the claimed amount of 2000 beside the Family Tax Credit, but the Total Federal Credits still shows 0.

Same as well - it calculated that I had an amount of $1888, but the tax refund amount did not change and when I go to schedule 1A under forms nothing is entered.

Are you viewing the schedule 1A to determine if you have benefited from the Family Tax Cut? In TurboTax Online, in the Detailed Tax Summary, the Federal Tax on Line 406 already includes the Family Tax Cut, if it was applicable. Check that form and see if the Family Tax Cut has been calculated, then check the Schedule 1, line 423, to see what the end benefit was.
jkpatzer

So I looked on the Detailed Tax Summary.  Line 406 shows federal tax of 8691.77, then line 423 shows Family Tax Cut of 1937.98.  Then line 420 shows Net Federal Tax of 8691.77.  Shouldn't that have the Family Tax Cut subtracted?

@jkpatzer - In TurboTax Online, in the Detailed Tax Summary, the Federal Tax on Line 406 already includes the reduction based on the Family Tax Cut, if it was applicable. Check Schedule 1A and see if the Family Tax Cut has been calculated, then check the Schedule 1, line 423, to see what the end benefit was. I have tested this and the amount displayed in Line 406 of the Detailed Tax Summary is correct.
jkpatzer

Where do I find Schedule 1A?  It dumbs everything down and doesn't use the real names for anything.

Once you have paid for the return, you can view the .pdf copy of the T1 General. The Schedule 1A is available in that document.

In TurboTax Online, in the Detailed Tax Summary, the Federal Tax on Line 406 already includes the reduction based on the Family Tax Cut, if it was applicable. Check Schedule 1A and see if the Family Tax Cut has been calculated, then check the Schedule 1, line 423, to see what the end benefit was. I have tested this and the amount displayed in Line 406 of the Detailed Tax Summary is correct.

Without seeing what is entered and the specifics of your tax return, I can't say what is happening. Check out our Blog post to see if the program is performing as it should, If not, post back here and I will follow up with you.

http://blog.turbotax.ca/family-tax-cut/

Thanks.

- Clint