Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crams

As an Ontario resident, would tuition paid for classes between September 5, 2017 and December 31, 2017 be deducted as part of the 2018 tax return?

3 Replies

As an Ontario resident, would tuition paid for classes between September 5, 2017 and December 31, 2017 be deducted as part of the 2018 tax return?

Announced in 2016, the Ontario government will eliminate the Ontario tuition credit in 2017. So, in the 2017 tax year, Ontario residents will only be able to claim the provincial tuition tax credit for eligible tuition paid up to and including September 4, 2017.

You can still transfer the eligible portion of your 2017 tuition. Also, you can still carry-forward unused eligible amounts, providing you remain a resident of Ontario.

panjian4

Would I be able to transfer a portion of the eligible amount that I carried-forward? Turbo tax is saying I can transfer $0 but I still have tuition credits from previous years.

You can't transfer amounts from previous years, only from the current tax year.