Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patricksafi
Returning Member

attendant care limits in year of death (Ontario vs federal)

Hello,

I am preparing the final return for my mother-in-law who passed away in 2020.  If one claims the disability amount, the federal limit for attendant care is $20,000; however the limit for the province of Ontario is $29823.

It appears that TurboTax does not allow a claim of $20 000 federally combined with an Ontario claim of

$29 823. If I override the medical expense amount on line 58689 of the Ontario form ON428 to allow the higher Ontario limit for attendant care, my understanding is that the return can not be Netfiled.

Is there a solution to this issue which allows me to Netfile the return ?

Thank you for any assistance.

[phone number removed]

1 Reply

attendant care limits in year of death (Ontario vs federal)

There is no solution to override to medical expense amount on line 58689 and still be able to NETFILE.

You can try using the Disability Tax Credit form to claim the disability amount, then use the Medical Worksheet to enter the total expense under line "Disability supports expenses not claimed elsewhere on any return".

If you need additional assistance, please contact us through our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter where our experts will be more than happy to guide you in a quick and effective manner.