Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box 26 error Turbo Tax calls it Communal Income and wants me to upgrade from Premier

Mar 15, 2023

I also got the same message that I needed to Upgrade or else could not continue.

My issue was Box 26 (Canadian)  on several of my T3s for products I've held for years. I too have used Turbo Tax Premier onlne version on the past with no issues.

THIS year I got the error message that my Box 26 was Communal Income (it was not; it was interest) and thus I needed to upgrade to report my communal income (I have no communal income).

I found the 'talk to a real live human' phone number of [phone number removed] and they couldn't understand the issue either. I had autodownloaded the info from CRA so she suggested it was either a product error or a CRA issue but swore it was NOT a Turbo Tax issue.

I have confirmed with my financial provider that it is not a product issue as it clearly shows only one Box 26 on the actual T3 yet on the Turbo Tax page they show THREE Box 26 but the locked one all show $0.00 for 'communal income'.

In any case, like another poster said, by the time the agent had me start over and over, my discount through my Bank got lost and there was no code she could give me to get it back so 20% saving lost.

To finish my return she had me back out of the 'must upgrade' screen others have shown here . I  backed up to the Review page on the left so I could Review and add my deductions.

It then let me finish and Efile.

Another client of my financial rep had no issue using Turbo Tax online but he manually entered all his T3 info so still not clear if its a CRA or Turbo Tax issue since I don't know what he entered.

Can this be escalated and investigated by Turbo Tax please?

Like others, I wasted several hours trying to fix this and don't wish a repeat for next year.

2 Replies

Box 26 error Turbo Tax calls it Communal Income and wants me to upgrade from Premier

Thank you for your feedback it is very much appreciated. Can you please confirm if the email you are using here is still valid by answering with a "YES" so that we can assist you further?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

yes