Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

calculation errors in federal and ontario tax

My turbotax netfile came back with an express notice of assessment saying there are errors in calculating my federal tax.  In actual fact, the differences appear both in federal and ontario tax amounts that total $354.89 in difference (231.39 delta in Federal; and 123.50 in Ontario), and not in my favour.  I'm hoping turbotax is correct, but either way I'd like to understand why the discrepancy.

The software says it is up to date when I try to update it.

Turbotax Standard 2023 Version 00.01.81 Build 8002068G26

5 Replies

Hi @mm_tax_apprentice,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We will need to look at your tax return to understand where the difference is coming from. Please contact us at (800) 446-8848.

mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

@SimoneDo thank you for the fast reply! 

I'm following your advice and trying the phone number, but I can't make it through the automated IVR -- it keeps wanting to text or email me or if I don't let it do that it just hangs up on me.   The only other option was a "support ID" ... do I have one of those and don't know it?

@mm_tax_apprentice When you can phone support, tell the computer you want to speak to an agent. You may have to repeat yourself. Then when it asks if you if you want a text message, say no. It should then start asking you for your phone number and other info needed to transfer you to an agent.

mm_tax_apprentice
Returning Member

@SimoneDo  @TurboTaxSusan 

Issue resolved.

Once I corrected the checkbox to identify zero for allowed RRSP for 2023 (corrected from "no" to "yes") the software then interprets an existing over-contribution in her RRSP account as such, and doesn't try to apply it to the 2023 tax return as a deduction claim. This deduction removal causes her taxable income to increase (as the deduction is now zero'd out), and the spousal deduction carried over to my return in turn decreases as a deduction on my return.  She still pays no tax either way, so I didn't notice this, but her deduction on my return decreases, so now I pay more tax in both federal and provincial tax. 

Resultant calculations between CRA and TurboTax are now within $3, so basically no issue any longer.

Thank you for the update, much appreciated.