Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slyttle

Can't netfile after entering detailed home expenses on T777s

Hi Everyone, 

I completed the detailed working from home expenses for COVID19 using the Easy Step form.  These EasySteps filled out the T777s form for me.

During my review at the end, the program said that I had overridden values on the T777s form and therefore wouldn't be able to NETFILE!   This was strange, since I had done everything through the EasyStep pages.   It gave me the option of removing the overrides, which I did, but in doing so it wiped out my utilities and other expenses.

When I re-entered them I noticed that in the spit view of the T777s form, when I filled out the EasyStep fields, the corresponding fields on the form were red .   I can't figure out why!

Anyone have any suggestions?

thx

-Sheldon

2 Replies
slyttle

Think I may have solved it.  

It appears that the EasyStep form was placing my entry in one of the calculated fields instead of the correct field  (in this case it was inserting it into the summation of electrical / water / gas etc field, instead of putting it into one of the  GST / HST applicable or the exempt  fields .

Guess I was one of the first people to use the detailed calculation via the EasySteps ;).

I ended up filling the T777s for manually instead, and that worked fine. 

Seems like Turbo Tax  hasn't fully developed T777S into the program.  I have to fill out the form directly instead of using EasyStep.  Moreover, the form does not calculate and fill out the amounts correctly, ending up I have to override the fields and this will create problem when I use NetFile.  Did you face the same problem? 

Also if you use "flat rate" of $2 x number of days, the total employment expenses on T777S does not calculate and fill by the program.