Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Netfile error code #2226 (marital status does not show as married despite being marked that way)

I process my husband and my taxes together. I have the latest version as of April 4th, 2023, I imported our file from TurboTax 2021, and I have double and triple checked (including the Forms themselves) and the Married box clearly is marked, however I get the following error when I try to Netfile:

Code: #2226 - One of the following situations exists on your return with respect to your claim on Schedule 6, Canada Workers Benefit. Please verify your entries and make the necessary corrections.

1. Your answer to the question on lines 38101 and/or 38104 indicates you have an eligible spouse, but your marital status on the return is not married or living common-law. If you were married or living common-law at any time during the year, but your marital status on the return is widowed, and your spouse or common-law partner was an eligible spouse, indicate this on your return as instructed by your software.

2. You entered an amount on lines 38106, 38107, 38108, 38109, and/or 38110 concerning your eligible spouse, but you did not indicate your marital status as married or living common-law on the return. If you were married or living common-law at any time during the year, but your marital status on the return is widowed, and your spouse or common-law partner was an eligible spouse, indicate this on your return as instructed by your software.

3. Your marital status is married or living common-law, but you did not indicate if your spouse or common-law partner was an eligible spouse.

Where do I go to fix this error?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can't Netfile error code #2226 (marital status does not show as married despite being marked that way)

Please note that the Error "CRA Result Code 84 #2226” has been resolved now.

If you are still getting this error message, please clear your browser cache (or use a different browser) and try again. If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 for more help.

View solution in original post

23 Replies
AB333

Hi, I just had the same issue!

Any suggestions appreciated. Will likely save and try later in case it's a CRA issue.

CCOTA69

I have just received the same error code and I have already successfully filed another married couples returns.  Is this a new error?  How do I fix it?

i, I just had the same issue!

Help!

PhrankP
Returning Member

DITTO!

... Ironically this error comes after paying for the software, just saying Intuit...

I got this same error yesterday and while trying to look up a fix for this error, as I checked everything over and found no real error, I came across this link for another tax site called TaxCycle.com:

Known Issue: EFILE Error 2226

We have received reports that TaxCycle is returning error code 2226 when attempting to EFILE a T1 return for taxpayers who are not entitled to the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB):

There are entries on the Schedule 6 for the working income tax benefit and one of the following situations applies to your client’s return:

1. The marital status is married or living common-law but there is no entry on line 382.
  2. The marital status is other than married or living common-law but lines 382 and/or 394 are equal to "1."
  3. The marital status is other than married or living common-law but there are entries on lines 384, 386, 387, 389 and/or 390.

If the client was married or living common-law at any time during the year but on December 31 the marital status is widowed, and the death of the spouse occurred after June 30 of the tax year and line 382 is equal to "1," enter "1" on line 5522.

The CRA has confirmed they are aware of the issue and are currently working on a fix. 

Anticipated Resolution

We are in communication with the CRA and will update this news article once they resolve the issue.

I received the same error while attempting to file my wife's and mine returns. Looks like a CRA issue according to one of the other messages. 

Rick2652

According to one source, it is a Revenue Canada Error that they are trying to resolve. It is a know issue. 

I received exactly the same message when I tried to Netfile my wife's return via Turbotax yesterday. I tried five times and got locked out. I talked with an agent today and he unlocked her account. He said that her name was incorrectly entered, but this is clearly not the case. The references in the error message all referred to lines on Schedule 6, Canada Workers Benefit, which she's not eligible for anyway. I hope it gets fixed soon. Not sure if it's a Turbotax bug or a CRA bug.

The same...please help to solve this issue. What do I have to do?