Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyles777

Capital Gains on Principal Residence

My wife and I built a home 3 years ago which was our principal residence and we sold it a year after due to it being a bit to small for our liking. We moved in with our in-laws and built a new home which we moved into a few months ago which is now our principal residence. We sort of settled on the property as there wasn’t much around and we don’t want it to be our forever home so I’d just like to know how long we should keep this home before selling in order to be certain we won’t pay capital gains. If a property comes up that we absolutely love I just don’t want to miss out on it so I am just curious what I should do.

3 Replies

There’s no time restriction. As long as it was your principle residence the entire time you owned it, and you didn’t rent out any part of it, you won’t pay capital gains on the sale.  However, be aware that if you buy/sell homes frequently, this may cause the CRA to review your transactions, as they don’t want the principle residence designation to be abused by “house flippers” and others whose primary motive is profit.

Kyles777

Thank you for the response! So how will they judge whether or not it’s too frequent. Essentially  I’ll have built and sold 2 houses in about 3 years. Which are our only 2 homes. We would like to build one final home that we absolutely want and that we will stay in forever. I anticipate having a gain of around 400,000 so obviously I don’t want to end up getting taxed on that amount. 

You may want to contact the CRA directly and double check with them. If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call them at 1-800-959-8281. This page has more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html