Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meisha1
Returning Member

CCA

I purchased a ZE vehicle in 2022.  What value do I enter in the CCA page as I use it personally and for business?  The purchase price was $67155.   Personal use is 90% and 10% for business.  I tried using the box for equipment showing personal and business use but received an error when TurboTax reviewed my return.  I'm not sure if I should enter the $67155 or 10% of that - $6715.50. 

6 Replies

CCA

As per TurboTax, if you use your vehicle for both business and personal use you can only claim the percentage of CCA that is directly related to business use. If you use the vehicle 40% of the time to earn income, then you can only claim 40% of the allowable CCA claim for that year.

TurboTax Online Instructions

1. From the menu, select Income, then Self-Employment, and then Self-Employment Intro
  2. Fill in your information, selecting Continue as you finish each screen
  3. When you arrive at the Did you have any work-related vehicle expenses? screen, select Yes, then Continue
  4. You'll be brought to Your Vehicle Expenses Summary. Select Add a Vehicle for Business Use
  5. Fill out applicable information on the form provided, then select Continue 
  6. You'll be brought back to Your Vehicle Expenses Summary. Select Done with Vehicles

Note: When filling out the form from step 5 of the instructions, be sure to put 10% of your total kilometers driven during tax year under total kilometeres driven in order to earn incomeThis will tell the software that 10% is for business use and 90% is for personal use.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Meisha1
Returning Member

CCA

Hi,

I did that for expenses.  It is when I claim that I purchased a vehicle that I have a problem as it doesn't allow for personal and business use.  Equipment allows you to distinguish business and personal use (say for a printer) but not vehicles.  Rather strange.

Cheers,

Michel

CCA

@Meisha1 The CCA amount taken on a vehicle is pro-rated based on the kilometres you drove for business use.

Meisha1
Returning Member

CCA

So from what I understand, is that I put in the total amount I paid for the vehicle and TurboTax will calculate the CCA amount based on the number of business kilometers I travelled when I entered my vehicle expenses.  Is this correct?  My personal kilometers were much higher this year as my husband had a stroke and I travelled to and from the hospital every day for 3 months.  I know that my business travel will be a larger percentage of my total travel next year.

CCA

Yes. That's right.

Meisha1
Returning Member

CCA

Thank you.