Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Buzz1042
Returning Member

Change in marital status Quebec TP1

I am using TurboTax Premier (download) edition to prepare Federal and Quebec returns.

I am preparing tax returns for my mother, who was widowed last spring. Her status in her 2020 tax returns was "married";  when I process her return for 2021 and indicate marital status "widowed", with a change in February 2021, the Quebec TP1 shows her status at Dec 31 2021 as "had a spouse". If I go directly to INFOWS and remove her "previous" marital status to blank, the TP1 correctly shows "did not have a spouse", but I get errors during the review, saying I need to indicate previous year status and date of change . . . . and then the whole cycle begins again (changes to "had a spouse", etc.).

I tried (a) transferring data from 2020 return, and (b) creating a return from scratch, and am not able to get around this issue. Any suggestions?

2 Replies

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

Buzz1042
Returning Member

I just figured out (in the small print) that for purposes of Quebec income tax return, if you had a spouse Dec 31, 2020 and the spouse died in 2021, you "had a spouse" on Dec 31, 2021.