Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA Result Code: 35-A

CRA was unable to accept my netfile. This is the message I am getting:

CRA Result Code 35-A

The Canada Revenue Agency was unable to process your return.

Please verify your response related to the question for foreign mailing address on file with Canada Revenue Agency.

Make necessary corrections and try again.

Problem is - I live in Canada. I have a Canadian address. The address in TurboTax is my Canadian address as well as the one on my account with CRA. 

I've looked at all the possible foreign tools in TurboTax to make sure everything is accurate meaning I have no foreign properties, addresses, or anything to claim related to foreign properties. I've already tried calling CRA and got no where.

Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it? 

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is a bug in both Turbo Tax and CRA NETFILE. I wasted 4 hours talking with Turbo Tax and CRA about this problem. Neither side acknowledged the issue.

Issue: The ‘foreign mailing address’ question is not being asked by Turbo Tax and the lack of answer to that question is not being handled properly by CRA NETFILE.

i

View solution in original post

@TurboTaxBrenda  

Thank you! I spoke with a very helpful agent. 

Here's what we did to Netfile successfully:

1. Go to My Info

2. Contact Information

3. Choose Yes for question - is your mailing address outside of Canada?

4. Choose No for question - does the CRA have your address on file? (both people if filing together), leave it as No

5. Switch back to No for question - is your mailing address outside of Canada?

6. You'll have to pick your province again.

7. Check your postal code because mine liked no spaces. There needs to be a space in the middle of the 6 alpha/digits. As @TurboTaxBrenda has posted, the system is VERY sensitive to these types of errors.

8. Go to Filing Hub

9. Start the Netfile

10. Delete the access code because it's optional (not sure if this helped but it was one of the steps my lovely rep did).

11. Continue to follow the prompts for Netfile

I can't say for sure that this will work for everyone but I hope it helps some people!

View solution in original post

47 Replies

Please make sure that your address is correct and matches what the CRA has on file for you.

I've already checked, double-checked and triple-checked that my address on file with CRA matches the one in TurboTax. 

I still get the same message about a foreign mailing address.

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.

strangisj

Same thing is happening to me, I have checked my address 4 times... Call that number and all I get is an automated helper with no live person...

Error code 35: The Canada Revenue Agency's processing system prevent your return from being accepted for NETFILE. For you to receive all the benefits and deductions to which you are entitled and to verify our validations, the Canada Revenue Agency needs you to file a paper return and attach all pertinent slips and receipts. The Canada Revenue Agency regrets the inconvenience

I’ve already tried that route. First time, the lovely young lady was actually spending time to try and find a solution however we lost communication. I was still connected but no sound. And no I wasn’t on mute.

Second time, the guy was useless. Wasn’t even interested in trying to help solve it. Simply kept repeating that it’s CRA code and not your problem.

I’m not getting error code 35.

I am getting error code 35-A which if you read my first post tells you what it means. It tells me to fix the issue with a foreign mailing address which I don’t have. Live in Canada and have my whole life. 

My OPTIONS are to try again in 5 minutes or paper file. At no point does it tell me I am required to paper file. 

I’ve had problems with my paper copy going missing in the past so want to avoid it. Plus even if I file a paper copy obviously some option is clicked to make turbotax think I have a foreign address.

strangisj

Any chance you have previous year charity donations on your return? 

I am claiming charity donations back to 2019 on this one. 

Just trying to figure this out lol 

There is a bug in both Turbo Tax and CRA NETFILE. I wasted 4 hours talking with Turbo Tax and CRA about this problem. Neither side acknowledged the issue.

Issue: The ‘foreign mailing address’ question is not being asked by Turbo Tax and the lack of answer to that question is not being handled properly by CRA NETFILE.

i