Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRA seems to want to claw back GST credit payments and carbon climate

I informed I went away from Canada but returned on June 11, and did not leave after that through 2023, informed Turbotax my residency for tax purposes did not changed, given I was out vacationing and was not less than 182 days from Canada, and have also residential ties here such as a mobile phone, credit , debit card and bank account.

Despite all of the above and CRA accepting netfile, and giving express NOA, with Notice of Assessment for March 14, looking at my benefits portion of CRA account, they are saying I must pay back GST / HST credit and carbon climate payment from 2023, should I wait until CRA does formal Notice of Assessment ?

4 Replies

Wait and see! Once you have Netfiled your tax report, I don’t see any point in trying to fix it after the fact. I suggest you just wait for your NOA and act accordingly. Don’t worry 

Yes, it is always recommended to wait for your Notice of Assessment received after the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has assessed your return as you indicated, on March 14th. If there are any questions at that time it will be best to contact the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Seems issue is solved, or at least in process of being solved. CRA informed me any dates entered when doing tax income filing will be considered like you severed residential ties to Canada and therefore that is where the issue arose.

TurboTax never mentioned this, simply asked did you leave Canada , but not clarified vacation trips are excluded otherwise it upsets everything and now have to prove it was just a vacation, wished TurboTax did better job to understand those questions. What is worse, you have to mail clarification cannot refile or electronically modify anything, so it takes months to fix issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will mention it to our development team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.