Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardSmith01
Returning Member

Cumulative net investment loss

I have the downloaded version of TurboTax 2023 and have been using this downloaded version or the CD version since 2010.  

On the Cumulative net investment losses carryforward page it has my prior years investment expenses and income.  It says these amounts are from lines 16 and 19 of part 3 or your 2022 T936 form.

There are some numbers on the boxes that TurboTax has entered.

I checked the pdf version of my 2023 return and there is no T936 in the PDF that I filed 

How did TurboTax get these numbers?

If the CRA asks for verification, how can I provide the T936 from 2022?

If I want to generate a T936 for 2023, so I can use this for my 2024 return, how can I get TurboTax to give me one? 

6 Replies

You can go to Forms Mode, open the T936 and print it separately.

RichardSmith01
Returning Member

Thank you.  Does that mean that the tt23 file includes the running totals from all previous years?  I have been using TurboTax since 2020 and Quicktax prior to that.

Does the CRA keep a record of these as well?

RichardSmith01
Returning Member

By the way, the first time I did this it printed the T1 by default.  When I worked out you had to double click on the T936, I got it to print that.  However, I would like to register by complaint that to just print out the T936 for my records, it increased my filing counter by 1 and it also did it for printing out the T1.  If you do not include the T936 in the pdf for the easystep method, I think it it unfair to increment the counter by 1 as I will not be using this to T936 to file taxes, it is just for my records!  Please answer the questions above.

If you click on print and mail my return- that will count as filing a return. If you NetFiled your return and only wanted a copy would have clicked on save a copy to PDF so that you can view it, and when it gives you a choice to save or print your return, you should have said Print.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

RichardSmith01
Returning Member

Every year I netfile and always save the pdf, but the PDF does not have the T936 included in it.  That is the problem.  It does give me the choice of not printing forms that have no entries.  However, the T936 has entries in to, do it should be printed, particularly as I need it for my records.  
You dis not answer the other question.  Does the CRA keep this information? If they do, it is not on the Notice of Assessment they provide.

The NOA they provide is specifics of what they assess on your income tax return. Contact our phone support team to ask them why it would cost you a return to print the form. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.