Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NoWayToContactYou
Returning Member

Disability Amount - Transfers

Turbotax is incorrectly calculating the Disability Amount - Transfers. It did it last year (which I had to self correct after spending hours on the phone with Canada Tax)  and looks like it is doing the exact same thing this year.

I have 2 sons ... one has the disability tax credit .. the other doesn't. I have correctly selected the checkbox only for my one son. Yet when I get to the year over year comparison .. the amount is doubled again for 2021 .. nearly matching the incorrect value from 2020 (also shown) 

Due to this issue .. I end up not getting the tax refund related to the DTC for my son who is entitled to it .. because the tax return from Turbo tax sends the incorrect amount (as though I am claiming for both sons) .. so they don't pay it. I then have to go in and do a manual adjustment to get it to work correctly.

Can someone tell me if this is a bug or I am missing something how this should be entered into the software.

Note: Both of my sons were initially entitled to the DTC and when that was the case the Turbotax return worked fine ... but since my eldest son is no longer entitled to it (and I dont claim for it) .. the software fails !!!

1 Reply

Disability Amount - Transfers

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 as they will be better able to assist you.