Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvill028

Do include HST in my expenses for self employment? I have an HST account and have filed, however, my T4A statement includes HST in earnings

T4A statement- includes HST
HST- filed and expenses added
1 Reply

Do include HST in my expenses for self employment? I have an HST account and have filed, however, my T4A statement includes HST in earnings

Generally, you can deduct any reasonable current expense you incur to earn business income. The expenses you can deduct include any GST/HST you incur on these expenses, minus the amount of any input tax credit claimed.

If you have already included the HST in your HST report then do not include it a second time in your self-employment expenses. 

When you claim the GST/HST you paid or owe on your business expenses as an input tax credit, reduce the amounts of the business expenses you show on form T2125 by the amount of the input tax credit. Do this when the GST/HST for which you are claiming the input tax credit was paid or became payable, whichever is earlier. Similarly, subtract any other rebate, grant, or assistance from the expense to which it applies. Enter the net figure on the proper line.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.