Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jorgie
Returning Member

DTC calculations are not the same as CRA's on client's re-assessment

I have a client who has submitted a T2201 to CRA.  The CRA has gone back several years and re-assessed all of the client's tax returns, as well as her spouse's returns.  When I go back to TurboTax and enter the DTC, all of the client's re-assessments are correct, likely because she can't use it.  Her income is solely the CPP Disability pension so she only makes under $10,000/yr.

However, her spouse has had the DTC transferred to him.  The re-assessment amounts on the non-refundable tax credits for the SK428 are correct (they match the CRA), as expected.  However the federal re-assessment amounts on the non-refundable tax credits on the T1 general are different than what the CRA has assessed.  I have tried, without success, to figure out what the differences could be.  All it is doing is transferring the entire amount of the DTC to the spouse, as well as adjusting the Spouse or common-law partner amount (line 30300 - it increases it) and puts in an amount for the Canada caregiver amount for spouse or common-law partner (line 30425).  Because I can't get any detail from the CRA's re-assessment other than the total, I don't know what's causing the amounts to be different.  All I can think is that either the CRA's calculation is missing something and is wrong, or TurboTax's calculation is missing something and is wrong.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

4 Replies
Jorgie
Returning Member

I was able to do more calculations here and it does appear that CRA is ONLY adjusting "Amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner' (Line 32600), which is the DTC amount from the spouse's DTC form as the spouse was no able to use the credit.

CRA is NOT adjusting the amount in Line 30300, nor adding an amount in Line 30425.  Is TurboTax adjusting/adding the amounts in these lines erroneously?  Or did CRA miss them when they did their re-assessment?

Yes, line 32600 is the line the CRA would adjust for the DTC. As per lines 30300 and 30425, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance as they have the option to view your screen to help you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Jorgie
Returning Member

Thanks, but there appears to be no telephone options on the page you provided the link for.  My only option is to post on this community, which I have already done.

Jorgie
Returning Member

Sorry, found it.  Thank you.