Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BH3333
Returning Member

Entering broker consolidated 1099s is broken at least on a MAC and Mac Premier hassles.

Hi, last year, I was able to enter my 1099s from my broker with the deluxe version -- and it all worked.  This year, after entering ANY 1099 from any of three different brokerages, immediately after the upload is done, it would ask me a series of questions starting with "please enter the name of the brokerage or bank".... WHAT?  That is what I just uploaded.  So I would enter that.  Then it asked me a series of questions about whether I inherited the equity etc and that was ok...  but THEN it would ask me to enter the sales info.  WHAT?  that is what I just uploaded.  

So after calling support, they told me that I needed to buy Premiere because Deluxe was not recognizing the upload correctly.    Ok, I did that.  In the past when I did that, TT just started up in Premier which did NOT happen.  The upgrade triggered an email saying I needed to go to downloads and get Premier there.  OK, so I did that.  When I restarted TT, it came up Deluxe.  1099 upload still broken.  After a multihour session with support, she surfaces a TT support article that says there are SEVERAL files that need to be deleted in the Library directory when changing versions of TT.   Ok so I did that.  The 1099 upload problem STILL was there but somewhere along the line **I discovered that by clicking on forms and confirming that the form for my brokerage held the correct info, TT stopped asking for the extra questions!!!**.

Now with this info, it's possible that TT can correctly import 1099s but I don't want to take the time to try it.

After another long session with support, she confirmed that clicking on the form for the import, will shutdown the questions but now when I click on the update button for Stocks, Cryto ... there is no way to update already entered data and the form doesn't show up properly.  There are also untitled entries with zero dollar entries.  I was told I could make those go away by deleting the form.

I also have a brokerage account with **no trades** and a zero dollar entry is created for it.  It's not clear if that is a problem.

Anyway, hopefully fixes for these are on the way and I'm going to stop using TT for a week or so until there are updates.

FYI

1 Reply

Entering broker consolidated 1099s is broken at least on a MAC and Mac Premier hassles.

Hello @BH3333 

This page is for the TurboTax Canada Support. Here is the page for TurboTax US Support:

Intuit TurboTax Community

Thank you!