Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Margo7

Error Code 513 - New Brunswick Filing

When I Netfile a 2019 return with full-time student tuition in New Brunswick, I am getting error code 513.   The message on the error code presents three possible scenarios.  I have verified that 1 and 2 don't apply, so it must be scenario 3: " There is an entry at line 32020 on federal Schedule 11 to indicate enrollment as a full-time student but no entry on line 59180 on the provincial Schedule 11, or vice versa."  I verified there is an entry in line 32020 on the federal schedule.  On the New Brunswick provincial form S11, there is no line 59180.  All of the other maritime provinces do have line 59180 so I think either Turbo Tax or CRA Netfile are looking for a field that doesn't exist on the NB form but does exist on other provincial forms.  I tried calling Turbo Tax support last night but they were not able to help.  Would calling CRA help or does Turbo Tax need to fix something in their software?

4 Replies
Gincout1
Returning Member

I am getting the same error message.  Any solutions on how to fix the error.

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If you are using a Desktop/Download product, you need to update it once you open your file. The new updates allows you to claim the NB tuition amount as shown in the screenshots below:

If you still have issues, please contact our support line:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/

I hope this was helpful

Gincout1
Returning Member

Hello, all updates have been done and it continues to give me error.   I will try to help line.  I have used Turbo tax for years and this is the first time I have had this much difficulty filing.

b-flow
Returning Member

We are in the exact same situation as Margo7 (1 and 2 did not apply, which put us on the hunt for a nonexistant box 59180). We did the "Check for Updates" and TT says that it is up to date as of this posting. It is reporting Version 00.01.71 Build 7005 068G27.

Additional information which may be relevant:

If we go back to the Provincial section of Easy Steps and simply click on Schedule 11 and then close it (without making any changes whatsoever) the estimated refund jumps up!! When we come to the Save PDF copy step, IF we save a PDF copy the estimated return drops back down!! If we go back and repeat the opening of Schedule 11 (again, not touching anything in it), the estimated refund jumps up again! If we then skip saving a PDF copy, the estimated return remains at the higher value.

Given how sketchy the software is handling this, we are hesitant to even try another netfile for fear of TruboTax being WRONG!!!

This is pretty bad given the seriousness of Income Tax! Have no confidence that the software will generate a sound return.