Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: "Your spouse/partner's income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return...".

My wife had an income of $2500. I filled up all the information in her T4 form, but I continue having this error. When I click the FIX option, it only asks if my wife income was $0 and of course the answer is NO, and it does not give me any other alternative for entering the income in any other place that could be missing it. Because it is an error I can't file. 

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Error: "Your spouse/partner's income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return...".

It may be referring to her net income, in which case the answer may well be yes.  Her net income is going to be nil. If the forms are coupled, it may have its own idea about your wife's income.

View solution in original post

I posted the question because the income of my wife although low it was not zero, I didn't realized that the error was for NET INCOME, not for the total income. In my case the income of my wirfe was very low, and her contribution to the RRSP matched the income therefore the net income became 0, so in the option for fixing the error the best option was to respond "YES".

View solution in original post

10 Replies

It may be referring to her net income, in which case the answer may well be yes.  Her net income is going to be nil. If the forms are coupled, it may have its own idea about your wife's income.

Has anyone figured this out?

I posted the question because the income of my wife although low it was not zero, I didn't realized that the error was for NET INCOME, not for the total income. In my case the income of my wirfe was very low, and her contribution to the RRSP matched the income therefore the net income became 0, so in the option for fixing the error the best option was to respond "YES".
hydranix

I'm having the same issue, there is no entry field for spouse income, regardless of how much or how little that may be.

It is in the beginning profile questions right after marital status. There will be name of spouse, social insurance number and income

This still doesn't help me, even though I had rechecked several times, I still went to re-check after reading your suggestion. My spouse has no income checked and no employment checked but still getting the error. :(

I have run into a similar issue, I have all the forms filled in correctly, and the Errors review is coming up with an error that isn't actually there. As a result I cannot NetFile, how do we correct this flaw in the program?

Has anyone figured this out Yet -   The question is Jordan: Your spouse/partner's net income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return. If you don't enter it, when the CRA receives your spouse/partner's return you will be reassessed and you'll owe the difference in your refund or tax payable, plus interest. Your spouse/partner's net income is required even if they passed away during the tax year.  

Her net income is 0 but its asking for Roberts's net income

Go to My Info > Additional Info About "Spouse" and you'll see the areas that need to be completed that aren't. Seems like the process flow is broken as you're not prompted to complete this initially but it gets flagged at the end for you to go back.