Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmarinet1

EV tax credit for filing year 2023 (filing next year)

Can I claim EV tax credit for my AGI in 2022 when I was head of household (my child was a dependent for this tax filing year 2022)?  For the 2023 filing year, I will be filing as single (no qualified dependent).  Please read my situation below.

I bought my Tesla Model 3 in April 2023.  The IRS guidelines states "You can use your modified AGI from the year you take delivery of the vehicle or the year before, whichever is less. If your modified AGI is below the threshold in 1 of the two years, you can claim the credit."   

"In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly 
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers."

In tax filing year 2022, I filed as head of household.  In tax filing year 2023, I will be filing as single, in which more than likely, I will not qualify with the single status for the EV tax credit.  However, if I can use tax filing year 2022 as head of household,   I made less than $225k.  With my switch in filing status, can I still qualify for EV tax credit when I file next year?  Will I be able to use my head of household status from 2022 although I'm filing single in 2023 to apply for EV tax credit? 

1 Reply

EV tax credit for filing year 2023 (filing next year)

You are on the TurboTax Canada site where we deal with Canadian tax issues. Please go to the US site to post your question.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.