Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHSA Delay taking deduction to a future year

I contributed to my FHSA in 2023 but I don't want to take the deduction in 2023 (I want to take it in 2024 or 2025)

There isn't a spot on Schedule 15 where I can enter that I don't want to take it in 2023 and then use it in a future year.

On RRSP Schedule 7 there's a line where you can choose to not take a deduction for 2023 contributions but I can't find the same thing for FHSA Schedule 15.

Thx.

5 Replies

Line 20 on schedule 15 is a problem. It should allow manual entry if you don't want to deduct FHSA contributions this year (i.e. carryforward to a future year).

This must be fixed or you can't file using Turbotax 2023.

We are aware of the issue and our product development team is working on it. In the mean time, you over-ride the amount being deducted, and still be able to netfile.

Hey, TurboTax Susan

Good day.

I don't know why you guys are having such trouble with this.  There are more than a handful  of tax experts at the firm all shaking their heads in unison.

READ what's asked on line 20.   Still not sure what is meant?  remove the X at the top of the Schedule and then run the review process.  It will stop at the FHSA and provide an even more clear explanation of what is being asked.

Again, we are aware of the issue. But, you can override line 20 and still NETFILE. If you go through EasyStep Mode, it will do the override for you.

If you are getting the Error "You reported First Home Savings Account (FHSA) contributions but haven’t indicated if you opened an FHSA in the year.", that's because you've removed the check mark on Line 68930 (Did you Open an FSHA), but have FHSA contributions entered. 

I was able to override that field 20 and use Netfile. I just received my NOA so no problems.

Thx.