Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pyusa
Returning Member

Filing Joint return for 3 people using Turbox Standard or Premier edition

Can I file Canadian tax return for 3 people using one Turbotax file using Turbox Standard or Premier edition?

3 Replies

Depending on your personal tax situation will determine which edition you should choose (Standard or Premier).

****Did we answer your question? Give us a “thumbs up” and mark the post that provided the best answer by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”***

pyusa
Returning Member

This doesn't help as I want to create a single file with tax returns for 3 people (for example myself, my wife and my daughter) so that I can transfer tuition credits and if needed split investment income across 3 persons. I currently see an option to have max 2 people per file (specifically two spouses only).

That’s correct, you can only prepare returns for a single individual or for a married/common-law couple together. Children or other family members would be in separate returns. This is true in both TurboTax Online & TurboTax CD/Download.

You can still transfer tuition credits and split investments, but you can’t have 3 returns open at the same time.

FYI: All returns are filed separately, even if your prepare a couples return together. There is no "joint filing" in Canada like there is in some other countries.