Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MItchWlukeTR
Returning Member

First time filing self-employed return, which version of the software is recommend I purchase?

Hello,

This is my first time filing my self-employed/personal return. I'm a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada at the moment in Japan. To my understanding I would file as a non-resident.

I work as a freelance artist making a relatively low amount of income from art commissions while my spouse supports me. I'm not sure if it's relevant information, but I make all my income from Paypal Canada, from clients who pay me in Canadian currency. So I don't receive any foreign currency. 

I was just curious which version of the software I should purchase, would it be the self employed version? Thank you so much!

-Mitch 

1 Reply

First time filing self-employed return, which version of the software is recommend I purchase?

First your residency status for tax purpose needs to clarified as it is not clear whether you are generating your freelancer income from Canada or outside and your residential ties with Canada,

for that purpose please go through the link, Determining your residency status 

If  it is determined that you are non-resident and have earned income from inside Canada, than you are subject to Canadian income tax requirements.

Firstly, as this will be your first year filing a Canadian income tax return, you will need to print and mail your return, as CRA doesn't have any of your information on file. 

Secondly, since you are earning freelancer income so you are are considered as a self-employed and following link explains the TurboTax products for Self-employed,

Which TurboTax product should I use if I'm self-employed? 

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter

Thank you for choosing TurboTax