Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasu1945
Returning Member

Following TurboTax Online advice but cannot select "Request for Loss Carryback" box in Your Losses Profile for 2020

Proper box can be selected if I use "refile" but then program goes thru refile and wants me to refile again with payments, etc.
2 Replies

Following TurboTax Online advice but cannot select "Request for Loss Carryback" box in Your Losses Profile for 2020

If you have already filed your 2020 return and are changing things then yes, you will need to ReFile. You can also choose to go do adjustments on your CRA My Account. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

tasu1945
Returning Member

Thanks for note.  Still a bit confused.  I have filed my 2020 return and now wish to carry back a capital loss from 2022, also filed and assessment received.  Do I refile in my 2022 return or open my 2020 return and refile it?  I have tried refiling my 2022 return and can get into the "refile section"' but then, at the end, the program seems to want me to again pay my 2022 taxes owed - or in my wife's case looking at a rebate.

If I do the "adjustments" in "CRA My Account" for 2020 I can change my capital gains amount to reflect the carryback but I see nothing to indicate that this is a carry back - only that I am reducing the capital gains.  Do I just assume the CRA will realize the reduction is from a carry back request.