Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sidkmr

Forgot to update td1 last year when i did a temp job for 3 months along with another temp job. now tax software shows i owe $500. can this be fixed before filing return?

the temps jobs are through two agencies i registered with more than 2 yrs ago, hence i was cluelss on the td1 form as i havent applied for a new job in a couple of yrs.You are basically hired from the agency on the day they send you to a job assignment and not considered an employee when you register with the agency and fill out a td1 form. and since these are temp jobs, i had no clue whether they would last just a couple of days or a couple of months, also they is no clear rule on whether an agency is considered my employer if i havent been offered a job assignment by them. I am registered with 7 temp agencies, 4 of them who have never send me to a job assignment,does this mean i have 7 employers as it relates to the td1 form. My main question is do i owe taxes instead of getting a refund simply cause i didnt update my td1 form when doing the second job for 3 months last year in 2017 or does everyone who does multiple jobs at the same time owe money on their tax return?if not, is there someway this mistake can be fixed before filing my 2017 return?Also apart from the 500 the software shows i owe, will there be more fines?The cra website says a employee who doesnt update their td1 form within the first week of a change may be fined up to $2500. Its a temp job, how do you fill out a td1 form for a temp job when you got clue how long youll be working the temp job.im so confused.

1 Reply

Forgot to update td1 last year when i did a temp job for 3 months along with another temp job. now tax software shows i owe $500. can this be fixed before filing return?

The TD1 Personal Tax Credits Return is a form used to determine the amount of tax to be deducted from an individual's employment income or other income, such as pension income. If you don’t complete a TD1 form, or it’s filled incorrectly, or you had multiple employers during the year, it is possible that too much, or not enough taxes was taken from your wages/salary at payroll time. If not enough tax was taken off when you originally got paid, then you must pay those taxes at income tax time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/payroll-overview/empl...