Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I calculate HST On Uber Income in Ontario?

Hi there,

1) Yes HST is included in gross fare

2) Honestly, it is really hard to reverse calculate HST, that uber reports. In most instances you will end up with small differences. Those differences could be attributed to some amounts that might not get reported explicitly on the summary. In this case, I calculated it to (11,412.51). I agree with you on this amount 101147.2. Why not take this as gross revenue and deduct HST?

One way to understand this better is to understand how Uber calculates trip earnings. Its explained well in this video https://youtu.be/pcJygfX485Y

3) I dont recommend using quick method.

I hope my answer helps. 

Thank you for your feedback! 

This issue has also troubled me. I work in the film business full time. HST is simple regarding collecting and remitting in that business. Productions include HST income for my services. So, they pay me HST.  I remit that amount to CRA, quarterly. However, for Uber (driver) not Eats. There are no HST income for Eats. For instance, I had a fare on Friday for $7.80. My earnings was $5.85. HST was $1.39. HST is calculated on the fare plus Booking Fee, $2.75, plus third party fees, $0.11. Adding these 3 figures x $0.13 comes to $1.385. But, guess what?! You must remit this amount to CRA. So, your actual earnings is $5.85-$1.39 or $4.46. Please tell me I’m wrong! Why isn’t the total earnings plus the HST or $7.24? Unless, the final Trip Balance is our income and then Uber withholds our HST? Seems very confusing. Why can’t Uber make it simple?

-Gary

John153
Returning Member

It is not the issue of simplified method or detailed. What I trying to udnrestand that , the HST is written bellow the breakdown is included in the Gross income above. While I record the gross income without HST shoud I deduct the HST written bellow form the Gross income . Any one knows about this , thier feedback is much appreciated. CRA should prepare a slip for them to remove this confusion.