Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I determine if my employer is a GST registrant for the purpose of determining my eligibility for the Employee GST/HST Rebate (form GST370)?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I determine if my employer is a GST registrant for the purpose of determining my eligibility for the Employee GST/HST Rebate (form GST370)?

If your employer is a GST/HST Registrant, they will have a GST/HST Number which they will have to supply you with to enter on the GST370 Rebate form. Most businesses are registrants if their income exceeds $30,000, however the following are excluded:

• Employer's who are a listed financial institution as defined in the Excise Tax Act (for example, an entity that was at any time during the year a bank, an investment dealer, a trust company, an insurance company, a credit union, or a corporation whose principal business was lending money)

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If your employer is a GST/HST Registrant, they will have a GST/HST Number which they will have to supply you with to enter on the GST370 Rebate form. Most businesses are registrants if their income exceeds $30,000, however the following are excluded:

• Employer's who are a listed financial institution as defined in the Excise Tax Act (for example, an entity that was at any time during the year a bank, an investment dealer, a trust company, an insurance company, a credit union, or a corporation whose principal business was lending money)
lerds99

I can't tell if my employer is a GST/HST registrant. I work for a public university. Is there any where I can verify this? On their website, it says "As a not-for-profit, charitable organization, the University  is exempt from paying income tax. However, there are activities that may be subject to withholdings and other taxes."

Most not-for-profit charitable organizations do not need to be GST/HST registrants.  You will need to contact them to ask if they are or not.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.