Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How Do I Enter Ontario Senior Homeowner Property Tax Grant Correctly in TurboTax Online 2022

Ontario Senior Homeowners Property Tax Grant
https://www.ontario.ca/page/senior-homeowners-property-tax-grant

Apologies if I'm missing something. In prior years it seemed a bit more clear on entering the data for the Ontario Senior Homeowners Property Tax Grant. In TurboTax Online 2022. Is this the correct workflow?

1. Elect for the OSHPTG in the Provincial Profile

provincialProfile_oshptgElection.jpg

2. Step through the Staycation, Ontario Seniors Home Safety Tax Credit (also elected in the example above, but which seems to appear before the OSHPTG data entry page, even though it's listed after in the election checkbox list above), and eventually land here:

oshptgStep1.jpg

3. Click on the "Additional Home" button per above ^, land here below, and enter data relevant for the OSHPTG?:

oshptgStep2.jpg

5. Finish the Provincial Profile, then re-step through the Provincial Profile again to confirm the data above for Address, Months, Amount Paid, etc, for the OSHPTG was actually saved. As it doesn't appear to be confirmed n the Provincial Summary as having been elected since of course it isn't a dollar line item.

My only other observations on improving that last screen above if it is the OSHPTG is to maybe reword the copy to have it all in one sentence, and or to specifically call out the title of the page as for the OSHPTG, (and/or other elections if elected and this page is relevant to those other elections) if that is what it is.

My one sentence copy idea:
"Enter the amounts paid for rent, property tax... [etc]... or a second home you owned or rented in Ontario in 2022."

Having two separate lines as it is currently, the last of which has bold typeface calling out a second home only, made me think this was only for a second home.

I assume at the point we can Print/Save our returns as PDF, the election for the OSHPTG and the amounts entered, will be able to be confirmed there, as usual?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How Do I Enter Ontario Senior Homeowner Property Tax Grant Correctly in TurboTax Online 2022

You shouldn't need to click on the "Additional Home" button unless you moved during the year. I will let the developers know that the boxes are missing and ask them to resolve the issue ASAP. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You shouldn't need to click on the "Additional Home" button unless you moved during the year. I will let the developers know that the boxes are missing and ask them to resolve the issue ASAP. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thanks, can you confirm if this Issue has been resolved on the platform yet, and it is now ok for users to proceed to enter the OSHPTG? Thanks.

Yes, the issue has been resolved.