Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ePeggyH

How do I get a refund of the "live support" amount paid to Turbotax? They told me my issue was a bug with the software and I could get a refund after I paid.

I couldn't get the amount of taxable capital gains from my deemed sale of my Principal Residence to be correctly carried forward from my Principal Residence sale declaration form to the summary: it was showing 50% of the gain on the detail entered but when I checked the Detailed Tax Summary it was only taking 50% of the already discounted by 50% capital gain.  I was told it was a bug and the workaround was to enter it as an investment capital gain and not to complete the Principal Residence declaration (which CRA is expecting me to do and this in itself may cause them to question my return). 

I questioned why I had to pay $100 for the "live assistance" just to find a bug as I have no need of a final review and my taxes are completely done. Further, I mentioned that for those that don't cross-check the amounts carried forward they will have understated the capital gain and will owe more tax if CRA recalculates. I was told there was no way to turn off the "live aid" once it was turned on and that I should apply for a refund after I pay. How do I do that?

1 Reply

How do I get a refund of the "live support" amount paid to Turbotax? They told me my issue was a bug with the software and I could get a refund after I paid.

A callback request about a refund has been done. Expect a call within 24-72 hours.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.