Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_D
Returning Member

How to calculate employment-use percentage in Turbotax

In 2023, I WFH for 6 months. How can I calculate the employment-use percentage? 
According to T777 example, I need to use the "used for work hours" divid total hours.  however, it seems no place in Turbotax to enter such information.

Example of how to calculate your employment-use amount (line 48) You are a salaried employee who worked from home using your dining room table. The dining room represents 12% of the total square footage of your house and is used for work for 40 hours out of a total 168 hours in the week. You paid $2,400 for electricity, heat, water and Internet, and $12,000 for rent. You enter $2,400 on line 42, $12,000 on line 46, and $14,400 on line 47. To determine your employment-use amount, you must first calculate your employment-use percentage as follows: (40 hours ÷ 168 hours) × 12% = 2.9% Your employment-use amount is $14,400 from line 47: ($2,400 + $12,000) × 2.9% = $417.60 Enter $417.60 on line 48.

6 Replies
Peter_D
Returning Member

BTW, I was working in a designated room. The above example may not apply. But still, since I was not wfh the whole year, how should I calculate the percentage?  

Are you using our TurboTax Online software or our TurboTax Desktop/Download software? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. 

Peter_D
Returning Member

I'm using TurboTax Desktop/Download software

Could you please review this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) questionnaire? You need to verify if you are eligible to claim your expenses as you have not worked from home more than 50% of the time. 

Here is our TurboTax FAQ: How do I claim home office expenses?

Peter_DD

I had to use another username to login as I lost the password for Peter_D and system didn't let me change password.

However, it was a typo and I did have at least 70% hours WFH last year. How can I enter this information? Thanks.

Could you clarify what you need? If you are looking to get the information from your other account, unfortunately, we do not have access to the information in your returns. If you are asking how to enter work from home expenses, you can go to the menu on the left side and click on Income then Employment Expenses to enter your information.