Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to claim Ontario trilliu benifit in turbotax

Hi

I entered all the information asked by TurboTax for the Ontario trillium benefit. but  OTB payment is not visible in the tax summary.

could you please explain what should I do about that.

thanks

8 Replies

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

To know more about the Trillium Benefit, please follow this TurboTax FAQ link: What is the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) and who can claim it?

To enter your rent and to claim the OTB please follow the steps below:

• Inside the return, in the Easy Step mode, go to the left side menu and click on Provincial then Get Started
  • A screen Let's maximize your provincial credits and deductions will open, click on Continue
  • Next screen Next, let's enter your Provincial information click on Continue
  • Next screen, Your Provincial Profile for 2020 Select all of the checkboxes that apply to you then click on Continue
  • Next screen, You may qualify for the 2021 Ontario Trillium Benefit answer Did any of these apply to you and you want to apply for the 2021 OEPTC? Mark YES for 2021 OEPTC
  • When you are done filling the screen click on Continue
  • On the next screen, Payments Related to your Principal Residence fill it in, then click on Continue 
  • On the next screen, Apply for 2021 Ontario Trillium Benefit Choose how you wish to receive the Trillium Benefit then click on Continue.

You are done applying for the Ontario Trillium Benefit.

If you need further clarifications, we would be glad to guide you through.

joanarmst

I am tryiing to apply for the otb in the 2022 turbo tax and the benefit amount is not showing up in the summary, what am I doing wrong?

@joanarmst The OTB is not included in your tax return. After you file, you will get a notice from the Ontario government letting you know how much of the credit you will get.

David2025

The summary page says 'zero' will be paid in the OTB benefit, but the schedule link says there will be $1200 paid in the year?  

@David2025 Yes, it looks like the amounts are sometimes not displaying properly on some pages. But at the same time, the amounts are being calculated.  

FYI: The Trillium Benefit credit amounts shown in TurboTax is only an estimate. You will a notice from the Ontario government after you file your return showing the actual amounts that you will be getting.

David2025

So I should be good to submit and expect (as in past years) receipt of the OTB?  Thank you.

@David2025 Yes.

David2025

Thank you!