Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to complete Rental form T776 - sharing info with spouse co-owner

Surely there is a way you don't have to enter all the same information for each Rental Income form T776 - sharing info with spouse co-owner. (TurboTax 2023 Download Standard Edition)

Supposedly you just "Edit" (ie enter the income and expenses for that property?), then "Save" (is there a way to Save in Easy Step mode, or do you have to switch to Forms mode, then go File Save?), then "Switch to the other Spouse" to verify the information auto-populated (is there a way to switch spouses in Easy Step mode, or do you have to switch to Forms mode, then use the ribbon at the bottom of the screen?)

In any event, it's certainly not working for me in either Easy Step or Forms mode....

Is this a feature you have to upgrade to use? I don't see that stated anywhere.

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed some light on this pet peeve...

Cheers, Glenn

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It was not easy, but I did finally speak to a live support person, and she confirmed that THIS AUTO-POPULATE CAPABILITY IS NOT WORKING in the any current version of the software.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

For help with this, please follow our TurboTax FAQ: How do I enter rental property income if my spouse and I are co-owners? You can follow the steps for either Forms View or Easy Steps.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

As I indicated in my original post, this is not working for me - neither Easy nor Forms:

The information (income, expenses, etc) that I have entered in my return are NOT TRANSFERRING to my spouse's return.  (Also, it appears there are errors in the documentation you cited, because under the steps for "Download" version it refers to "Online Premier"...)

DO I NEED TO UPGRADE (from Download "Standard" to Download "Premier") in order to have this capability?  or is it available only in the Online Premier version?

Thank you in advance!

Premier is recommended for guidance on investment income and expenses, and rental property income and expenses.

For further directions, you may wish to contact our telephone support as they can view your screen. Please follow this link for their number: Contact Us.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

It was not easy, but I did finally speak to a live support person, and she confirmed that THIS AUTO-POPULATE CAPABILITY IS NOT WORKING in the any current version of the software.

Thank you for the update. An update should be coming in the near future.

Thank you for your patience.