Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CS6S
Returning Member

How to enter the information for Northern Residents Travel Deductions

For the Northern Residents Travel Deduction there are three columns: 1st column - whose travel are you claiming. 2nd column - Who else is claiming that person's travel. 3rd column - Portion of the $1,200 standard amount claimed by each person.  My husband is claiming all of it as he is the only one with an income. He has 3,000 in box 32 on his T4 slip. We can claim two trips. First trip is for 6 people (my husband, myself, and our 4 minor children). Second trip is for my husband and myself. Do I put this on the first page with the columns I mentioned above or on the second page where there is a spot to list trips? Or in both spots? In either case there isn't enough room to list 6 people claiming travel on the first page and on the second page with trips listed there is only room for 6 trip expenses listed where we need 8 spots (6 people on the first trip and 2 on the second).  I am very confused and frustrated that there isn't enough space for this!

4 Replies

For more information and guidance please contact the Canada Revenue Agency: Individual tax enquiries line

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

bk1010
Returning Member

Did you figure this out? It is so poorly laid out and the instructions are so hard to follow.

We are 2 people - I have a TB for travel of $5400

I am totally lost as to what to put where....

Help??

CS6S
Returning Member

No not really.... after reading what I could on it and trying to figure it out as much as I was able I just did the best I could but not sure if I did it correctly or not. 

In order to help you, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to guide you. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.