Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebMarc
Returning Member

How to Remove Caregiver amount

How do I remove line 51090.  I have not entered any requests for caregiver amount.  The disability amount is allowed however the caregiver amount is not.  The software continues to enter an amount here irregardless.   I would prefer to netfile, however will not be able if I override this line.  

2 Replies

If this is for your spouse please go to the form INFOWS and make sure that the question re: "Is your spouse dependant on you" is answered no.

If this is for a dependant, click on the Dependant icon in the blue menu bar and then click on the box for the "Infirm - Caregiver" amount. On the pop-up, answer No to all the questions.

I think there's a bug in the Windows TurboTax app. Those steps certainly should result in the caregiver claim being removed from the forms, but they don't. Schedule 5 Line 30425 and 30450 remain filled in regardless.
(note that in my case, the selected Dependant Credits are "Disability amount transfer" and "Caregiver amount.") If I set the easy step for Disability amount transfer to No instead of Yes, only then does the caregiver amount clear from the Schedule 5.