Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taxman64

How to remove past years turbo tax filed returns from old computer to a new computer

I have been using turbo tax yearly for many years, filing 8-12 returns/year. Now my OLD computer is getting tired and time for a new one. How do I go about transferring all my Turbo tax past returns to my new computer, so I have them for future reference and also save any "Carry Forwards" to use when I load my 2022 Turbo Tax? Then, once transferred how do I go about removing turbo Tax from old computer? Please be somewhat detailed on how to's because I am not real great with this type of stuff!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE!

1 Reply

How to remove past years turbo tax filed returns from old computer to a new computer

You can copy the .ttxx files from your old computer onto a portable drive or online cloud storage and then copy them to your new computer. By default TurboTax CD/Download files are saved in a "TurboTax" folder within your Documents folder. ex: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax

Once you have copied the files over, you can delete the files on your computer just like any other files. If you are going to sell or donate your old computer, you may want to use a secure delete program to make sure your files are completely wiped.