Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chino

I am a published writer. I write in Canada but books are published in Japan. For each book, publisher deducts 10% for tax paid in Japan. Where can I claim this paid tax?

I tried putting under Foreign Income but then every year I get contacted by CRA telling me it is not the place (although I was told to do so by Turbotax operator) and I have to obtain proof of tax paid in Japan. So much hassle when I am honestly reporting total income and paying sufficient tax.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a published writer. I write in Canada but books are published in Japan. For each book, publisher deducts 10% for tax paid in Japan. Where can I claim this paid tax?

You will need to fill out a T2209 form - Federal Foreign Tax Credit - in the online version of the software you - go under "Deductions" - in the FIND search bar - next tot he HELP button on the right side of the screen - type in -"Foreign Tax Credit" - which will generate the Foreign Taxes form - and it states "If you paid income taxes to a foreign country, you may be able to recover all or a portion of the amount paid. Do you want to determine how much you can recover?"   YES -  this is where you will enter in your Foreign tax paid amounts under the "Foreign employment income" section.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will need to fill out a T2209 form - Federal Foreign Tax Credit - in the online version of the software you - go under "Deductions" - in the FIND search bar - next tot he HELP button on the right side of the screen - type in -"Foreign Tax Credit" - which will generate the Foreign Taxes form - and it states "If you paid income taxes to a foreign country, you may be able to recover all or a portion of the amount paid. Do you want to determine how much you can recover?"   YES -  this is where you will enter in your Foreign tax paid amounts under the "Foreign employment income" section.

kobzaw

I am aware of T2209 (S) (1) (2) (3) but I need T2209 (C) which Turbo Tax does not have. 

The only form that the CRA has for Federal Foreign Tax Credits is the T2209. In TurboTax CD/Download you can fill out up to three T2209 forms, which is why T2209 (1) (2) (3). T2209 (S) is a summary page that isn't an actual tax form, it's just there to make it easier to see how much credit is being calculated. "T2209 (C)" may be something found in other tax programs, but it's not something from the CRA.