Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yulia_n
Returning Member

I am not self-employed but getting warning from Turbotax

I am filing my taxes with my partner. I am employed and received T4. My partner is self-employed. I correctly answered all question (double checked it), and did not enter any self-employment income for myself. For some reason I am getting the following warning from Turbotax: "You’ve entered income from your self-employment business but no expenses have been claimed. If you did incur expenses, please go back and enter them. Claiming the expenses you paid to do your work will help in lowering your taxes."

Also it shows me the price $60 for each return. But for me it should be $40 (Premier). What can be the reason and how to correct it? Thank you

2 Replies

What boxes are filled on your T4? Boxes 81, 82 and 83 are considered to be self-employment/business income by the CRA, so you would need to fill out the Self-Employment form.

If you are preparing your return together with a spouse, then both individuals will be using the same version of TurboTax. If you want to use a different version then your spouse, you will need to prepare your returns separately.

yulia_n
Returning Member

Boxes 81, 82, and 83 are all zeros.

So I am assuming that I am getting this warning because we are filing our returns together.

Thank you for clarifying