Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gordon-t
Returning Member

I am on a 5 year visa in England. Do I need to pay Canadian income tax on earned income in England?

I have been there for more than 183 days in 2018, my plan is to be there for 5 years. I own no real estate. My personal possessions and car have been put in storage. I maintain a bank account in Canada for direct debit purposes to pay for the storage fees.  I have a bank account in England and  a UK drivers license. My passport is still Canadian.

3 Replies
gordon-t
Returning Member

I am on a 5 year visa in England. Do I need to pay Canadian income tax on earned income in England?

Before I left for England in 2018 I did work in Canada and have a T4 so will be filing a return for 2018. In the return I have listed my status as a non-resident and turbo tax is asking me for my world income. Am I expected to pay Canadian income tax on the world income?

If you are not a resident, you may not need to file a tax return. Whether or not you are a resident is different from whether or not you are a citizen. If you are unsure of your residency status, you will need to contact the CRA and confirm with them. 

If you are in Canada or the United States, you can call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. If you are somewhere else you can call 613-940-8495. Here are more ways to contact the CRA: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/telephone-numbers.html
gordon-t
Returning Member

Before I left for England in 2018 I did work in Canada and have a T4 so will be filing a return for 2018. In the return I have listed my status as a non-resident and turbo tax is asking me for my world income. Am I expected to pay Canadian income tax on the world income?