Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eelesd

I do not have to pay alternative minimum tax this year, and would like to claim alternative minimum tax carryover from prior years. How do I fill out form T691?

7 Replies

I do not have to pay alternative minimum tax this year, and would like to claim alternative minimum tax carryover from prior years. How do I fill out form T691?

If you carried forward your 2016 turbotax return  this will automatically be populated into your 2017 return. 

If you are eligible to claim your AMT you can find it on schedule 1 of your printed copy. 

iamgav

Hi there,

I have an Alternative Minimum Tax credit balance from a prior (non-TurboTax) return. How can I claim this credit? I don't see the T691 form.

Thanks.

lorikowalchuk
Returning Member

Me as well. I have a 2019 Minim Tax Carryover available for 2020.  When I did the Other Deductions/Alternative Minimum Taxes, it did not have a regular Carryover from previous field. How am I supposed to enter this?

iamgav

Hi there,

After speaking with Turbo Tax support, they advised that the online version does not have Forms support.

My solution was to purchase Turbo Tax Desktop (only available for Windows), so that I could enter my carry forward amount and fill out T691. Thankfully, you only pay for TT Online as you're filing, not at the start. So I only paid for the Desktop version.

I'm not sure if this is a reasonable solution for your situation.

Cheers.

For those using TurboTax Online:

You can get to the right page by using the Find tool (magnifying glass) to search for “carry”, and selecting “Carryforward of Alternative Minimum Tax” from the list.

For those using TurboTax CD/Download:

If you are using EasyStep mode, you can get to the right page by using the Find tool (magnifying glass) to search for “carry”, and selecting “Alternative minimum tax carryforward - Federal” from the list.

If you are in Forms mode, you can search for the T691 itself.

Zetoun

I have an Alternative Minimum Tax credit balance from a prior (non-TurboTax) return. How can I claim this credit? I don't see the T691 form.

have an Alternative Minimum Tax credit balance from a prior (non-TurboTax) return. How can I claim this credit? I don't see the T691 form.

Zetoun

I have an Alternative Minimum Tax credit balance from a prior (non-TurboTax) return. How can I claim this credit? I don't see the T691 form